Being underwater can put more stress on the body than sitting watching the telly. Before taking up diving (and on an annual basis thereafter) it is a requirement that all divers complete a medical questionnaire.
If you can truthfully answer NO to all the questions below, then you should be fit to dive.
If you answer YES to any question then you will need to consult a Diving Medical Referee (we can advise who to contact). Don’t be discouraged if this is the case as it is a fairly routine situation and it doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be able to dive, but it’s always better to be sure.
1. Have you suffered at any time from diseases of the heart and circulation including high blood pressure, angina, chest pains and palpitations?
2. Have you at any time had chest or heart surgery?
3. Have you suffered from or had to take medication for asthma?
4. Have you ever had collapsed lung or pneumothorax?
5. Have you ever had any other chest or lung disease?
6. Have you suffered at any time from blackouts, fainting or recurrent dizziness?
7. Have you had regular ear problems in the past ten years?
8. Do you have an ileostomy, colostomy or ever had repair of a hiatus hernia?
9. Have you ever had epilepsy or fits?
10. Have you had recurrent migraines?
11. Have you ever had any other disease of the brain or nervous system (including strokes or multiple sclerosis)?
12. Have you ever had any back or spinal surgery?
13. Have you any history of mental or psychological illness of any kind, fear of small spaces, crowds or panic attacks?
14. Have you any history of alcohol or drug abuse in the past five years?
15. Do you have diabetes?
16. Are you currently taking any prescribed medication (except the contraceptive pill)?
17. Are you currently receiving medical care or have you consulted the doctor in the last year other than for trivial infection or minor injury?
18. Have you ever been refused a diving medical certificate or life insurance or been offered special terms?
19. Have you ever had, or been treated for, decompression illness?